Dr. Peter Waweru Wangai
1 Human-Environmental Systems,
2. Environmental Economics & Valuation.
3 Ecosystem Monitoring & Management
4 Ecological-Human Wellbeing
- June 2021- Ongoing: Building Urban Community Networks for Sustainable Cities in Africa (UComNetSus- Africa). Consortium Lead. Funded by Belmont Forum (2021-2023).
- June 2020- ongoing: UNESCO Chair initiative on Higher Education Development for a Green Economy and Sustainability (HEDGES) at Kenyatta University. Member of the Technical Working Group (TWG)
Books & reviewed papers
- Müller, F., Bicking, S., Ahrendt, K., Bac, D. K., Blindow, I., Fürst, C., Haase, P., Kruse, M., Kruse, T., Ma, L., Perennes, M., Ruljevic, I., Schernewski, G., Schimming, C., Schneiders, A., Schubert, H., Schumaker, J., Tappeiner, U., Wangai, P., Windhorst, W., Zeleny, J. (2020). Assessing ecosystem service potentials to evaluate terrestrial, coastal and marine ecosystem types in Northern Germany–An expert-based matrix approach. Ecological Indicators, 112, 106116. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2020.106116
- Wangai, P. W., Burkhard, B., Müller, F. (2019). Quantifying and Mapping Land Use Changes and regulating Ecosystem Services in a data-scarce peri-urban region in Kenya. Ecosystems and People 15 (1), 11-32. https://doi.org/10.1080/21513732.2018.1529708
- Wangai, P. W., Burkhard, B., Kruse, M., Müller, F. (2017). Contributing to the cultural ecosystem services and human wellbeing: a study application on indicators and linkages. Landscape Online 50, 1-27. DOI: http://www.landscapeonline.de/103097lo201750
- Wangai, P. W., Burkhard, B., Mueller, F. (2016). A review of studies of ecosystem service assessments in Africa. International Journal of Sustainable Built Environment 5(2), 225-245. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsbe.2016.08.005
- Müller, F., B. Burkhard, Y. Hou, M. Kruse, L. Ma & P. Wangai (2016): Indicators of Ecosystem Services. In: Potschin, M, R. Haines-Young, R. Fish & R.K. Turner (Eds.): Routledge Handbook of Ecosystem Services. Routledge, London: 157-170.
- Wangai, P., Muriithi, K. & Koenig, A. (2013). Drought related impacts on local people’s socioeconomic life and biodiversity conservation at Kuku Group Ranch, Southern Kenya. International Journal of Ecosystem 3(1): 1-6 DOI: 10.5923/j.ije.20130301.01.
- Wangai, P. W., Burkhard, B., Kruse, M., Müller, F. (submitted). Quantifying and Mapping Land Use Changes and regulating Ecosystem Services in a data-scarce area in Kenya. International Journal of Biodiversity Science, Ecosystem Services and Management x (xx), xx-xx. Journal Ref. TBSM-2017-0027.
SCIENTIFIC CONFERENCES AND WORKSHOPS
- Wangai, P., Burkhard, B., Mueller, F. The connection between the intangible benefits of natural landscapes, human wellbeing and policy recommendations. Ecosystem Services Partnership Conference, Nairobi, 21- 25 November 2016.
- Wangai, P., Burkhard, B., Mueller, F. Current status of ecosystem services research and its applications in the management of natural resources in Africa. Ecosystem Services Partnership Conference, Nairobi, 21- 25 November 2016.
- Wangai, P., Burkhard, B., Mueller, F. Spatio-temporal mapping of land use capacity to supply regulating ecosystem services in peri-urban ecosystems: A case of Karura catchment, Nairobi. Ecosystem Services Partnership Conference, South Africa, 9-13 November 2015.
- Wangai, P. Community Conservancy model in wildlife conservation at Kuku Group Ranch, Kenya. Paper presentation at the first International Conference at Karatina University College, 25 -28 July 2012.
- Belmont Forum Sept. 2020, Training on “Pathways to Sustainability” and transdisciplinary research
UN Environment Assembly, 2019, (“SolveDifferent”); Sustainable Consumption and Production
UN Environment Assembly, 2017 (“Towards a pollution-free planet”)
- Actors in Sustainable Development Goals (Bonn Germany, March 2017)
- Terrorism and religious radicalization (Lingen Germany, June 2016).
- I and we-,we and others: Identity in the globalized world (Bonn Germany, April 2016)
- Ecosystem Services Partnership Conference (Stellenbosch South Africa, November 2015).
- Summer School for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (Peyresq France, September 2015)
- The role of professional in bringing change-“How can change be achieved?”(Tamale Ghana, August 2015)
- KAAD Water Group workshop (Karlsruhe University Germany, May 2015)
- International Workshop on coastal ecosystem service and Land-Sea interface(Kiel Germany, March 2015)
- KAAD Education Commission (Germany, May 2014)
- KAAD Annual Academic Day (Germany, April 2014)
- Role of Professionals in national development (Uganda, August 2012)
- Remote sensing for natural resource management (Italy, May 2009)
Membership to Professional Bodies
- The Wildlife Conservation Society
- Society of KASEA (a charitable organization for scholars of East Africa)
- KAAD & DAAD Scholars Alumni Association, http://www.kaad.de/alumni/
- Registered EIA expert with National Environment Management Authority (NEMA).
- ALTER-NET, http://www.alter-net.info/
- Ecosystem Services Partnership, http://es-partnership.org/