Dr. Joseph K. Muriithi
Research and Publications
Refereed Journal Papers
- Ireri, P., Muriithi, J.K.., Kung’u, J.B. (2023). A review of Kenya’s policy on local community participation in tourism, The International Journal of Interdisciplinary Social and Community Studies.
- Musyoka, J.K., Ming’ate F.L.M., Muriithi, J.K (2022). Factors determining household membership to Community Forest Association for participation in management of Upper Imenti Forest, Meru County, Kenya, Journal of Sustainable Forestry
- Ireri, P., Kung‟u, J.B. & Muriithi, J.K. (2020). Distribution of the Benefits of Ngare Ndare Forest Trust and Il Ngwesi Group Ranch Ecotourism Enterprises in Kenya. African Journal of Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure, 9(5):1178-1192
- Mutua B, Muriithi, J.K, Omwoyo O. (2014): Farmers awareness levels on the effects of pathenium weed (Partheniumhyterophorus L.) on agricultural production and its control in Nyando, Kenya, International Journal of Agriculture, Vol 125(305-310).
- Muriithi, J.K. (2013): Eco-certification and Insertion of Socioeconomic and Cultural Best Practices in Ecotourism Operations in Kenya, International Journal of Humanities and Social Science Vol. 3 No. 5; March 2013
- Muriithi, J.K. (2013): Ecotourism Ideals, Contradictory Actors Practices and Environmental Conservation in Kenya‟s Tourism Destinations, Resources and Environment 2013, 3(2): 24-34 DOI: 10.5923/j.re.20130302.03
- Wangai P, Muriithi, J.K and Andreas Koenig A. (2013): Drought Related Impacts on Local People‟s Socioeconomic Life and Biodiversity Conservation at Kuku Group Ranch, Southern Kenya ,International Journal of Ecosystems 2013, 3(1): 1-6 DOI: 10.5923/j.ije.20130301.01
- Muriithi, J.K. (2007): „Continuity and Change in Tourism Practices in Kenya‟ in Mambo, Volume VI, n° 2; 2007, French Institute of Research in Africa, Nairobi, pp. 1-6.
- Muriithi, J. K. (2007): „Vested Interests and Natural Resource Governance in Kenya in L’Afrique orientale annuaire (eds) Charton, H et Médard, C. L‟Harmattan, Paris, pp. 165-198.
- Muriithi, J.K. (2006): „Common Heritage, Diverse Interests: Deforestation and Conservation Alternatives for Mt. Kenya‟ in Les Cahier D’Outre-Mer, Afrique de L‟Est: Montagnes, Numéro 235 Vol. 59. Presses Universitaires de Bordeaux, pp. 307-332.
- Muriithi, J.K. (2006): „Embracing Community-Based Ecotourism: Tourism Initiatives and Practices around Mt. Kenya National Reserve ‟(2006), in Les Cahiers d'Afrique de l'est, N° 28, pp. 31-49.
- Muriithi, J.K. (2005): „Towards Co-management of Forests: Dynamics of Collaborative Forest Governance Around Mount Kenya‟, in Les Cahier d’Afrique de l’est N° 26, French Institute for Research in Africa, Nairobi, pp 1-38.
Refereed Book Chapters since 2014
- Muriithi, J. K., 2022.. Role of conservancy-based tourism in the management of natural ecosystem services in the Maasai Mara, Kenya. In Management of Tourism Ecosystem Services in a Post Pandemic Context(pp. 11-29). Routledge, London.
- Muriithi, J. K., 2022., Sustainability Perspectives of the Wildlife Conservancy–Based Tourism Model in a Post-Pandemic Context in Kenya. In Tourism through Troubled Times: Challenges and opportunities of the tourism industry in 21st century, (pp. 181–202). Emerald Publishing, London.
- Muriithi, J.K. (2017): Towards Sustainable Urban Green Development in Nairobi: Policy Options in _Devolution and Development in Kenya: Selected Issues, Challenges and Remedies_ Nsemia Plc, Canada, Mwenzwa and Thuranira (eds)
- Muriithi, J.K. (2016): Mountain Tourism in Dynamic Settings: Challenges and Efforts to Align Tourism to Emerging Realities in Mt Kenya Area, In East African Mountain Dynamics, edited by François Bart, Mkuki na Nyota, Dar el Salaam,
- Muriithi, J.K. (2014): The Role of Certification in Enhancing Achievement of Sustainable Ecotourism Development in Kenya, In Beyond Safari: The Third Cycle of Tourism Revolution in Kenya, L‟Harmattan, Paris, edited by Jean Rieucau
- Karienye D, Ochola S, and Muriithi J.K. (2012): Impacts of Climate Variability on Rural Livelihoods in Nyeri County, Kenya Lambert Academic Publishing, Saarbrucken, Germany
Conference /Workshop/Symposium Papers
- December 4th, 2018: Workshop paper presentation at the Delft Institute for Water Innovations, The Netherlands titled, “Managing water scarcity in contexts of competing stakeholders visions”
- 9th -10th March 2018: Resource person at a conference on “Socioeconomic considerations on risk assessment of Genetically Modified Organism (GMOs) organized by the Kenya Bio-safety Authority at the Kenya School of Monetary Studies.
- October 26-30th 2015: Participated and presented a paper on “Capacity Building for Action Research in Kenya” at University of Michigan, African Studies Centers‟ Partnership, Publication & Funding Workshop Agenda
- September 21-25th 2015: Participated and presented a paper entitled, “socioeconomic Impacts and Monitoring of Kenya’s two models of Protected Areas (National parks and Game Reserves), at a conference at the University of Wuerzburg, Germany.
- 8th - 10th July 2014: Participated and presented a paper at the Green Economy in the South conference in Dodoma, Tanzania. Paper was titled, “Certification in ecotourism: Review of experiences and impacts of using “Green credentials” in Kenya.
- 05-10 March 2012: Participant at the Implementation Research Proposal Development workshop organized by the World Health Organisation at Serena Hotel, Kampala, Uganda, 05-10 March 2012. July 3rd –July 9th 2011: Facilitator and discussant at the “Mountain and Small Cities” Conference at the Green Hill Hotel, Nyeri; July 3rd –July 9th 2011.
- 22/23/24 September 2010: Presented a paper at the conference on “Public Understanding of Science in Africa” titled, “Ecotourism and Interactions of Experts and Local People in Conservation Efforts in Kenya”, at the British Institute for Research in Africa-Nairobi, 22/23/24 September 2010.
- 17 November 2009, Degrading paradise: Eco-tourism Ideals and Contradictory Actors‟ Practices in Kenya‟s protected areas, research seminar paper given to the Political Ecology Group, University of Cambridge, UK 17 November 2009.
- 15th September 2009: Resource person and discussant in the workshop “Proficiency Standardization and Validation of Tourism Training by the Catering and Tourism Development Levy (CTDLT), 15th September 2009, Silver Spring Hotel, Nairobi.
- 3rd to 14th July 2006: Training in Research Methods with special emphasis on qualitative, qualitative, spatial analyses and field work, organised by the National Centre for Scientific Research-Paris, Institute for Research and Development Paris, 3rd to 14th July 2006, Nairobi.
- 24th/25th/26th November, 2005: Impacts of Tourism on Nature: The Management of Mt. Kenya. Paper Presented at the International colloquium on governance stakes and sustainable tourism development in protected areas held on 24th/25th/26th November, 2005, Nice, France.
- 21st-26th August, 2004: Community Based Forest Management in Kenya: the case of mount Kenya area”, Seminar presentation made during the National Centre for Competence in Research, East African Review Workshop between 21st-26th August, 2004, Sportsman‟s Arms, Nanyuki, Kenya.
Consultancy and Project Reports
- May 2017-2018: Research Consultant in Urban Africa Risk and Knowledge Project with ARUP consulting group, UK), the component dealing on socioeconomic and Environmental Impacts of huge Infrastructural Projects in Kenya ((Thika Super Highway and Two Rivers Mall).
- 2017- 2018: Consultant and team leader with Civotech Associates for Environmental and Social safeguards Compliance Audit of the Kenya Municipal Programme (KMP) for cluster II towns of Nakuru, Eldoret, Kakamega and Kericho.
- 2013-2014: Consultant sociologist and mixed methodologies expert on the Columbia University project examining community based child protection mechanisms in Kenya (Kilifi, Mombasa, Kisii and Nyamira).
- 2012 February: Implementation Research training, World Health Organisation, Kampala, Uganda.
- 2011: Researcher on the project “Mountains and Small cities in East Africa” in collaboration with University of Bordeaux, January-July 2011.
- 2010: Sociologist with EGIS Bceom team for the preparation of the Resettlement Action Plan for the Kibwezi-Isiolo road, Kenya, June-November 2010.
- 2010: Sociologist with EGIS Bceom team for the preparation of the Resettlement Action Plan for the Kaya-Yei-Juba road, Southern Sudan, June-October, 2010.
- 2010: e-content developer on “Qualitative Data Management and Analysis” for the project, Partnership for Higher Education in Africa‟s Educational Technology Initiative (PHEA-ETI), Kenyatta University, September-November, 2010.
- 2005: Research assistant with the World Science Project that focused on scientific communication among scientists (Kenya universities and Kenya Agricultural Research Institutes (KARI) centres), Department of Sociology, University of Nairobi, 2005.
Community Engagement and Other Contributions
- 2023: Co-PI in the Center for Global Health Equity grant. Pastoral Health and Climate Change project.
- 2021: PI in the Kenyatta University VC Research Grant, “Developing an Entrepreneurial Model for Livelihoods Enhancement Amongst Poor Trees Farmers in Nairobi City County, Kenya
- 2018-2019: Co-PI (Prof. Bilal Butt) in the African Heritage Initiative Research Grant, 2018 Collaborative Faculty Seed Grant from the African Studies Centre, University of Michigan for the project, “A People‟s Environmental Conservation History of the Maasai Mara, Kenya”
- Research grants by the French Embassy, Nairobi for scientific exchange in France between 4th -23rd December, 2010.
- Visiting fellowship, University of Cambridge, Wolfson College and the Centre of African Studies on the theme, Public Understanding of Science in Africa, 2009- 2010.
- French Government Scholarship for PhD studies at the University of Bordeaux III, French Embassy, Nairobi, 2005-2009.
- PhD Fieldwork grants from the French Institute for Research in Africa (IFRA), Nairobi, 2005-2008. Master studies (at the university of Nairobi) scholarship by the National Centre for Competence in Research North-South (NCCR-NS), Research Partnership Programme for Mitigating Syndromes of Global Change, Switzerland, 2002- 2004.
Community Service and Outreach
- 2018; Appointed Board of Management (BOM) Member, Karundas Secondary School, Nyeri County for a period of three (3) years
- 2022: Re-Appointed Board of Management (BOM) Member, Karundas Secondary School, Nyeri County for a period of three (3) years.
- 2017-2021: Elected Parents Association Member at Baricho Boys High School, Kirinyaga County for four years (2017-2021).
- Trustee and secretary to the board of the Double Gee Educational trust
- Staff-Student Mentor at Kenyatta University
- Ecotourism Kenya (EK), member