Pollution and Assessment of Environmental Degradation; Natural Environmental Resources and Social Environment Management; Environmental Dimension of Roads andand Assessment of Environmental Degradation; Natural Environmental Resources and Social Environment Management; Environmental Dimension of Roads and Transportation Systems; Tools for Environmental Management- EIA/EA/Cost Benefit Analysis; The Natural Systems (TNS); Studies in Environmental Pollution, and Evaluation and Monitoring of Environmental Projects, etc.
Ongoing Research Activities
Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) Studies (Eldoret Town, Installation of Traffic Lights and Automation of Central Bus Park).Drafting a book on Tools for Environmental Management- Eastern Africa, Biomass Energy Studies and currently drafting a chapter for a book on, “Impacts of Woodfuel Production on Biodiversity and the Environment”, July 2014.
1.United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
2.Network of Environment and Sustainable Development in Africa (NESDA).
3.Economic Commission for Africa (ECA).
4.African Development Bank.
1.Waudo, N. Stacy, James N. Maraga and Michael K. Koech, Factors Influencing Fuelwood Scarcity Among Rural Households in Lurambi District, Kakamega County, Kenya. International Journal of Current Research, Vol. 5, Issue, 12 pp 4138-4141 Dec. 2013, ISSN: 0975-833X.
2. Koech M.K, Kinoti M.K and Ngetich P.K. Assessment of Pollution of Rural Water Supplies in Kenya. A Case Study of The Kipsonoi River in Bureti District. (In Progress, 2014)
3. Koech M.K. The Development of Environmental Assessment Guidelines and Procedures in Kenya. African Journal of Environmental Assessment and Management Volume 1 No. 1, January 1999.
4. Koech M.K. Science and Environment" in the book: Science Education in the African Context, Jomo Kenyatta Foundation, 1998.
5. Koech M.K. Methods Used to Count (Monitor) Animals /Vegetation: Trends in East African Protected Areas." Third Regional Seminar for the UNESCO Project - Biosphere Reserves for Biodiversity Conservation and Sustainable Development in Anglophone Africa (BRAAF), Cape Coast, Ghana, March 9 - 15, 1997.
Some of the Ongoing Research Publication Activities
1. Koech M.K, Kinoti M.K., and Buigutt K.S.A.Environmental Dimension of Traffic Congestion and Pollution in the Nairobi Metropolitan Area. (In Progress)
2. Koech M.K, Kinoti M.K., and Buigutt K.S.A. Tools for Environmental Management (TEM). (In Progress)
3. Kinoti M.K., Koech M.K. and Mbwiria L.N Municipal Solid Wastes Management in Kenya: Process and Technicalities of Relocating a Disposal Site in the Meru Municipality. (In progress, readiness for publication submission)
Conferences / Keynote Presentations /Participations:
• Attended and Contributed to the 28Th POSTGRADUATE SEMINAR FOR MASTERS GRADUANDS AT KENYATTA UNIVERSITY. Theme was, Held on Tuesday, 17Th June, 2014 at the Student Business Center Room 273 from 8:30 a.m – 5.00 p.m.
• Attended and Contributed to the First Animal Welfare Workshop of the Department of Environmental Education, Kenyatta University June 10-12, 2014, Student Business Center, Presented a paper on: “Environment ,Diplomacy and Animal Welfare”
• Invited and Contributed to the Moi University 9th Annual International Conference 2013 as a Key Note Presenter in August 2013, but did not attended due to unforeseen circumstances.
• Attended and Contributed to the Mount Kenya University 1st Annual International Conference, on 28th – 30th August, 2013. Conference Theme: “Towards Achieving a Knowledge Economy Through Research and Innovation”, Key Note Presentation: Food Security and Climate Change.
• Attended and Contributed to the East African Quality Assurance Forum in Entebbe, Uganda May 14 – 18, 2012. Chaired a Session on Environmental Quality Systems.
• Attended and Contributed to the Moi University 7th Annual International Conference, 6th – 10th September, 2011 Conference Theme: “Knowledge Creation and Dissemination for Realization of Millennium Development Goals”
• Attended and Contributed to the 10th Revitalization Conference of the ICEA: Chaired Group 3 on “Higher Education Networks and Links” Convened by the IUCEA Secretariat, Imperial Royal Hotel, and Kampala, Uganda: 19 – 21, October 2010.
• Attended and Contributed to the 20Th POSTGRADUATE SEMINAR FOR PH.D GRADUANDS AT KENYATTA UNIVERSITY. Theme was, “Issues in Research and Development for Regional Integration in Eastern Africa.”. Held on Friday, 19Th June, 2010 at the AVU Main Hall from 9.00 a.m – 5.00 p.m.
• Attended and Presented Papers on “Towards the Development of Environmentally Sound Solid Wastes Management in the City of Nairobi” by Michael K. Koech and Mary Kinoti and “Challenges in Relocating Solid Wastes Dumpsite: A Case Study of the Meru Municipality” by M. K. Koech, M. K. Kinoti, L. N. Mbwiria and S. Bitengo; at Waste Management Inception Conference, convened by the United States International University Nairobi – Africa, the USIU Auditorium, August 15 – 17, 2006.
• Attended and Contributed to the KARI – McGill University Workshops on “Enhancing Agricultural Productivity in the Dryland Areas” Convened by KARI – McGill, KARI Headquarters, Nairobi, and KARI – Katumani, Machakos, on August 16 – 17, 2010.
Director, Chairman, Dean, Coordinator-NEAP-Kenya, Deputy Vice Chancellor, Ambassador-UNEP, and Director General-NEMA-Kenya.