Area of specialization
- Environmental-Plant Ecology (Industrial Pollution Ecology - impact of pollution on the biodiversity of Terrestrial and the Lake Ecosystems in the Rift valley)
- East African Flora and Fauna and Biodiversity management and conservation
- Ethnobotany and Ethnoveterinary – Research in Medicinal Plants to prevent, treat and cure diseases in Human, Livestock and Poultry
- Evergreen Agriculture/Conservation farming with trees/Agroforestry practices in Eastern and Southern Africa/ Farming systems in East Africa
- Impact of Urbanization and Industrialization (Toxic metal pollution) on Biodiversity of different ecosystems in East Africa - Conservation and Management
- Water Quality Control and Monitoring which Include fresh water springs, lakes, rivers, Alkaline Rift Valley lakes ecosystem in Kenya and Tanzania.
- Evergreen Agriculture and sustainable Agroforestry Practices used in the East African Region for better land use dynamics, soil fertility, food security (increase in food production), livelihood and environmental resilience
- Land-use dynamics; Natural Resource Management & Conservation through Reforestation by growing Multipurpose Plants MPPTs (timber, medicinal, fodder and fruit) their cultivation, harvest techniques and sustainable uses as subsistence and commercial farming.
- Medicinal Plants (Ethno-botany) of East African Region used in primary human healthcare system and Ethno-Veterinary medicinal plants used in primary healthcare of livestock and poultry
- Domestication, Cultivation, Management and Conservation (in situ and ex situ) of critically threatened and endangered species of plants.
- 21 – 22 Feb 2013 IFAD fruit project inception workshop JKUIAT-Thika
- 03-07 Sep 2012 Science Forum 2012 ICRAF- Nairobi-Kenya
- 25 – 29 June 2012, IUFRO-FORNESSA Regional Congress & ITTO/AFF forest policy day- “ Forests and Trees; serving the people of Africa and the World, ICRAF- Nairobi-Kenya
- 10 – 13 April 2012, BEATING FAMINE-sustainable food security through land regeneration in a changing climate, ICRAF- Nairobi-Kenya
- 8 – 11 August 2011, 14th NAPRECA symposium and AAMPS Ethnoveterinary Medicine Symposium, ICIPE-Nairobi-Kenya
- 25 – 29 April 2011, Regional workshop to support the preparation of the state of the World’s forests Genetic Resources in Africa World Agroforestry Centre (WAC-HQ)-ICRAF, ICRAF- Nairobi-Kenya
- 15th March 2010, Charcoal Seminar- World Agroforestry Centre (WAC-HQ)-ICRAF, ICRAF- Nairobi-Kenya
- 6 – 8 August 2010, International Science Conference held at World Agroforestry Centre (WAC-HQ)-ICRAF, ICRAF- Nairobi-Kenya
- 15 – 17 September 2010, International conference on Biodiversity, Land Use and Climate Change towards a National Conservation framework, ICRAF- Nairobi-Kenya
- 14 – 18 August 2009 International Conference on Agroforestry held at United Nations (HQ) United Nations (HQ) Nairobi - Kenya
- Ermais, Dharani, Mathews,2012,The indigenous knowledge of the Maasai Ethnoveterinary diagnostic skills Journal of HumanEcology J.Hum. Ecol., 16(1): 43-48.
- Dharani, N., et al, 2010, Distribution of Zn and Cd levels in Soils and Acacia xanthophloea Benth, from Lake Nakuru National Park, Kenya., Bulletin of Environmental Contamination Toxicology Springer New York, USA., Vol, 3: 318 – 323
- Dharani, N., et al, 2008, Browsing impact of large herbivores on Acacia xanthophloea Benth in Lake Nakuru National Park, Kenya., African Journal of Ecology-Blackwell Publishing Ltd-UK., Vol, 47: 184 – 191.
- Dharani, N., et al, 2007, The Distribution of Cu and Pb levels in Soils and Acacia xanthophloea Benth, from Lake Nakuru National Park, Kenya. Bulletin Environmental Contamination Toxicology Springer New York, USA., Vol, 79: 172 – 177
- Dharani, N., et al,2006 Structure and Composition of Acacia xanthophloea woodland in Lake Nakuru National Park, Kenya.African Journal of Ecology-Blackwell Publishing Ltd-UK.Vol, 44: 523 – 530
- Dharani,N.2006,The Debarking in Lake Nakuru National Park, Kenya.CONSERVATION. SWARA Magazine- East African Wildlife Society-Kenya ,Vol, 29: 42 - 45
- Dharani, N., Nov 2011, Feb 2012, Field Guide to common Trees and Shrubs of East Africa (2nd Edition), Published by Struik Random House Publishers, Cape Town, South Africa, ISBN: 978 1 77007 888 8
- Dharani, N., et al, 2011, Common Antimalarial Trees and Shrubs of East Africa –A description of species and a guide to cultivation and conservation through use, Published by World Agro forestry Centre, Nairobi-Kenya, ISBN:
978 92 9059 238 9.
- Dharani, N. and Yenesew, A., 2010, Medicinal Plants of East Africa-An Illustrated Guide., Published by Najma Dharani in association with Drongo publishing, Nairobi-Kenya, ISBN: 978-9966-05-167-8.
- Dharani, N., 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006 & 2007, 2009, 2011, Field Guide to common Trees and Shrubs of East Africa (1st Edition), Published by Struik Random House Publishers, Cape Town, South Africa, ISBN: 1-86872 640 2.
- Dharani, N., 2006 & 2007, Field Guide to Acacias of East Africa. (1st Edition). Published by Struik Random House Publishers, Cape Town, South Africa, ISBN: 9781770071742