Areas of teaching and research
- Participatory development
- Forest governance
- Indigenous knowledge systems
- Sustainable urban development
- Wildlife and ecotourism
- Community capacity building
- Community assets building
(i). 2012. With Karienye D, and Ochola S: Impact of Climate Variability on Rural Livelihoods in Nyeri County, Kenya. Lambert Academic Publishing, Saarbrucken,Germany, ISBN: 978-3- 659-29108- 1
- Forthcoming book chapter: Towards Sustainable Urban Green Development in Nairobi: Policy Options,Book publication coordinated, by Karatina University, school of Social Science
- Forthcoming book chapter: Mountain Tourism in Dynamic Settings: Challenges and Efforts to AlignTourism to Emerging Realities in Mt Kenya Area, In East African Mountain Dynamics, Mkuki na Nyota,Dar el Salaam, edited by François Bart
- 2014: The Role of Certification in Enhancing Achievement of Sustainable Ecotourism Development inKenya, In Beyond Safari: The Third Cycle of Tourism Revolution in Kenya, pp 153-181, ’Harmattan, Paris,edited by Jean Rieucau
- 2014: (with Mutua, B AND Omoyo, ) Farmers’ awareness levels on the effects of parthenium weed (Parthenium hysterophorus L.) on agricultural production and its control in Nyando division, Kenya
- 2013: Eco-certification and Insertion of Socioeconomic and Cultural Best Practices in Ecotourism Operations in Kenya, International Journal of Humanities and Social Science Vol. 3 No. 5; March 2013
- 2013: Environmental Certification Ideals, Contradictory Actors Practices and Environmental Conservation in Kenya’s Tourism Destinations, Resources and Environment 2013, 3(2): 24-34 DOI:10.5923/j.re.20130302.03
- 2013: (with Peter Wangai and Andreas Koenig), Drought Related Impacts on Local People’s Socioeconomic Life and Biodiversity Conservation at Kuku Group Ranch, Southern Kenya , International Journal of Ecosystems 2013, 3(1): 1-6 DOI:10.5923/j.ije.20130301.01
- 2010: ‘Potential application of Payment of Ecosystem Services (PES) mechanisms in the Kenyan highlands Areas’, (January, 2010) online library, Mountain Forum Publications
- 2007: ‘Continuity and Change in Tourism Practices in Kenya’ in Mambo,Volume VI, n° 2; 2007, French Institute of Research in Africa, Nairobi, pp. 1-6.
- 2007: ‘Vested Interests and Natural Resource Governance in Kenya (2007) in L’Afrique orientale annuaire (eds) Charton, H et Médard, C. L’Harmattan, Paris,pp. 165-198.
- 2006: ‘Common Heritage, Diverse Interests: Deforestation and Conservation Alternatives for Mt. Kenya’ in Les Cahier D’Outre-Mer, Afrique de L’Est:Montagnes, Numéro 235 Vol. 59. Presses Universitaires de Bordeaux, pp. 307-332.
- 2006 : ‘Embracing Community-Based Ecotourism: Tourism Initiatives and Practices around Mt. Kenya National Reserve ’(2006), in Les Cahiers d'Afrique de l'est, N° 28, pp. 31-49.
- 2005: ‘Towards Co-management of Forests: Dynamics of Collaborative Forest Governance Around Mount Kenya’, in Les Cahier d’Afrique de l’est N° 26, French Institute for Research in Africa, Nairobi, pp 1-38.
Conferences, Colloquiums, and Seminars
- October 26-30 th 2015: Participated and presented a paper on “Capacity Building for Action Research in Kenya” at University of Michigan, African Studies Centers’ Partnership, Publication & Funding Workshop Agenda
- September 21-25 th 2015: Participated and presented a paper entitled, “socio-economic Impacts and Monitoring in Kenya’s two models (National parks and Game Reserves) of Protected areas, at a
- conference at the University of Wuerzburg, Germany.
- 2014: Presenter and session facilitator in the “Green Economy in the South: Negotiating Environmental Governance, Prosperity and Development, University of Dodoma, Tanzania 7th-13 June, 2014 on “certification in Ecotourism: Review of Experiences and Impacts of Using “Green Credentials” in Kenya.
- 2014: Presenter at the conference on landscape and bio-cultural spheres, British Institute in Eastern Africa, 21-23 March 2013 on “Significance of Devolved Environmental and Natural Resources Management Reforms in Sustaining Mt. Kenya’s Natural Landscape”2012: Participant at the Implementation Research Proposal Development workshop organized by the World Health Organisation at Serena Hotel, Kampala, Uganda,05-10 March 2012
- 2011: Facilitator and discussant at the “Mountain and Small Cities” Conference at the Green Hill Hotel, Nyeri; July 3rd–July 9th 2011
- 2010: Presented a paper at the conference on “Public Understanding of Science in Africa” titled,“Ecotourism and Interactions of Experts and Local People in Conservation Efforts in Kenya”, at the British Institute for Eastern Africa (BIEA), Nairobi, 22/23/24 September 2010.
- 2010: Presented paper at a workshop on “Public Understand of Science in Africa” titled “Persistence of Protectionist Tendencies in Wildlife Conservation in Kenya: A threat to Community Participation” at the Centre fo African Studies,University of Cambridge, UK on 15th March 2010.
- 2009: Degrading paradise: Eco-tourism Ideals and Contradictory Actors’ Practices in Kenya’s protected areas, research seminar paper given to the Political Ecology Group, University of Cambridge, UK 17 November 2009.
- 2009: Resource person and discussant in the workshop “Proficiency Standardization and Validation of urism Training by the Catering and Tourism Development Levy (CTDLT), 15th September 2009, Silver Spring Hotel, Nairobi.
- 2006: Training in Research Methods with special emphasis on qualitative, qualitative, spatial analyses and field work, organized by the National Centre for Scientific Research-Paris, Institute for Research and Development-Paris, 3rd to 14th July 2006, Nairobi.
- 2005: Impacts of Tourism on Nature: The Management of Mt. Kenya. Paper Presented at the International colloquium on governance stakes and sustainable tourism development in protected areas
- held on 24th/25th/26th November, 2005, Nice, France.
- 2004: Community Based Forest Management in Kenya: the case of mount Kenya area”, Seminar presentation made during the National Centre for Competence in Research, East African Review Workshop between 21st-26th August, 2004, Sportsman’s Arms, Nanyuki, Kenya.
Scholarships, Grants/Fellowship awards
- Research grant by the French Embassy, Nairobi for scientific exchange in France between 4th -23rd December, 2010.
- Visiting fellow, University of Cambridge, Wolfson College and the Centre of African Studies on the theme, Public Understanding of Science in Africa, 2009-2010.
- French Government Scholarship for PhD studies at the University of Bordeaux III, French Embassy, Nairobi, 2005-2008.
- PhD Fieldwork grants from the French Institute for Research in Africa (IFRA), Nairobi, 2005-2007.
- Master studies (at the university of Nairobi) scholarship by the National Centre for Competence in Research North-South (NCCR-NS), Research Partnership Programme for Mitigating Syndromes of Global Change, Switzerland, 2002-2004.