Participants during the Workshop
The workshop started at 8.30 AM and was opened by Dr. Njoroge Gitau on behalf of the Deputy Vice Chancellor-administration, and who heaped praise on the ESDA programme,and especially its approach of - problem identification to seeking solutions, and the sustainability concept. Dr Judy Kariuki of united Nations Economic Commission for Africa’s (UNECA) Land Policy Institute in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, gave a keynote address and equally heaped praise on the ESDA programme, and wished for its expansion to more countries in Africa. The theme of the workshop was Critical issues in sustainable urban development—with three subthemes as follows: (i) Entrepreneurship, Innovations and business for sustainable urban development – (4 papers) (ii) Urban water, sanitation and energy (4 Papers) and (iii) Urban governance –(2 papers). Participants were drawn from local Kenyan universities, governments departments, Ngo’s, 2 from East African region. Students in our ESDA programme were also in attendance. The workshop was finally closed at 6.30 Pm by the Dean, School of Environmental Studies, Prof James Kungu .
PAPER TITLES PRESENTED IN THE ESDA-SUD WORKSHOP AT KU ON 6TH JUNE 2017 AT KUCC HALL 2.
A. Innovation and Entrepreneurship
(1) Innovation and Entrepreneurship for Sustainable Urban Development: Case Study of Chandaria Business Innovation and Incubation Centre in Kenyatta University.
Author: Dr. George k. Kosimbei.
(2) Using the Reformed Curriculum to address water, sanitation and energy challenges: A case of Kibera Slums.
Authors: Mary Munyi and John Muriuki
(3) Enhancing sustainable urban development through agri-based ventures among urban based households. A theoretical model.
Authors: James M. Kilika, Linda Kimencu and Janet Muthimi.
(4) Integrating environmental concerns in business innovations and enterprises for sustainability.
Authors: Cecilia M. Gichuki1 and Ngare Innocent2
(5) Innovation inclusion for Sustainability of Livelihoods of Urban Women Entrepreneurs in Informal Settlements in Nairobi, Kenya
Authors: Bula Hannah Orwa(PhD )1, Murigi Elshiba(PhD )2 & Ngigi David(ABD)3
B. Urban energy, water, and sanitation
(6) Challenges in urban energy, water and sanitation: prospects for mitigation and sustainability in low-income areas of Nairobi, Kenya.
Authors: James Koske and Richard Kerich.
(7) Overcoming the challenges of water scarcity and sanitation in developing countries: the case of Kenya’s urban areas.
Authors: Prof James Kungu
C. Urban governance
(8) The role of governance in influencing urban dimensions of growth and sustainable development in Kenya: a case of Nairobi, Kenya.
Authors: Dr. Muriuki, Benson Mburu, Manguriu & Joyce Mwaniki
(9) Urban sustainability: The role of urban governance and community participation.
Author: Daniel Manguriu and John Muriuki
Last Updated on Monday, 03 July 2017 13:39