Dept. of Environmental Science, Kenyatta University,
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
Articles in Refereed Journals
- Ondere, L., Obade, P., and Gathuru, G. (2017): Spatial-temporal changes of landcover types in response to anthropogenic dynamics in Yala swamp, Siaya county, Kenya. Journal of Ecological Engineering. Elsevier Publishers. (submitted)
- Ochieng, J., Kitur, C. and Obade, P. (2016): Assessment of decay coefficients of allochthonous litter for sustainable riparian forage agriculture and environmental monitoring: A study in River Nyangores, Kenya. Open Atmospheric Science Journal. Bentham Science Publishers.
- Obade, P., N. Koedam, K. Soetaert, G. Neukermans, J. Bogaert, E. Nyssen, F. Vannedervelde, U. Berger and F. Dahdouh-Guebas (2009). Impact of anthropogenic disturbance on a mangrove forest assessed by a 1D cellular automaton model using Lotka–Volterra-type competition. International Journal of Design and Nature and Ecodynamics. Vol. 3, No. 4 1–25, Southampton, UK
- Obade, P. T.; Dahdouh-Guebas, F.; Koedam, N.; De Wulf, R., and Tack. J. (2004): GIS-based integration of interdisciplinary ecological data in the detection of land-cover changes of creek mangroves of Gazi Bay, Kenya. In: Western Indian Ocean Journal of Marine Science Vol 3, No. 1, pp 11-26.
- Harper, D. M.; Smart, A. C.; Coley, S.; Schmitz, S.; North, R.; Adams, C.; Obade, P. T. and Mbogo, K. (2002): Distribution and abundance of the Louisiana red swamp crayfish Procambarus clarkii Girard at Lake Naivasha, Kenya between 1987 and 1999. Hydrobiologia 488: 143-151. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Netherlands
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Obade, P. T., Dahdouh Guebas, F. and Koedam, N. Impact of disturbance on Gazi Bay mangrove forest assessed by a cellular automaton model and Lotka Volterra type competition. Proceedings; International Symposium on Aquatic Vascular Plants: 25 Years After. 2nd – 6th February, 2006 Brussels, Belgium.
- Adatia, R., Coley, S., Smart, A., Harper, D., and Obade, P. T. (1999): Changes in the Feeding Ecology of the African Lily Trotter Actophilornis Africanus (GMELIN) at Lake Naivasha, Kenya. Eds. Harper, D and Zalewski, M. In; UNESCO IHP-V Projects 2.3/2.4. 11-16th April 1999, Proceedings, “Ecohydrology: Science and the Sustainable Management of Tropical Waters” at Naivasha conference, Kenya.
- MEMR (2012): Kenya Wetlands Atlas, GIS-based Wetlands Atlas and compilation of historical satellite images. Publication supported by UNEP and DANIDA. ISBN: 978-9966-21-178-1
- LVBC (2011): Identification and Mapping of Ecologically Sensitive Areas (ESAs) in Lake Victoria, Kenya. ACTS press, African Centre for Technology Studies, Lake Victoria Basin Commission. ISBN 9966-41-157-7
Chapter in Book/s
- Gichuki, J.; Abila, R.; Lung’aiya, H.; Njoka, S. ; Ofulla, A.; Obade, P.; Omondi, R.; Boera, P. and Mwende, K. (2011): Studies on Rapid Assessment of the Ecological Succession and the Dynamic Status of the Water Hyacinth in the Nyanza Gulf of Lake Victoria. ACTS press, African Centre for Technology Studies, Lake Victoria Basin Commission. ISBN 9966-41-153-4
Participation in Workshop/Conferences
- Attended workshop on GIS for Sustainable Development, Kenyatta University, Nairobi 19th November 2016
- Attended seminar on Remote Sensing Technology and Applications, Kenyatta University, 29th – 30th September 2016
- Attended workshop on Discovering the World through GIS, Kenyatta University, Nairobi 18th November 2015
- Attended workshop for a Kenya National Carbon Accounting System (KENCAS), 15 April 2013, Safari Park Hotel, Nairobi
- Attended workshop for a Kenya National Carbon Accounting System (KENCAS), 29 June 2012, Hilton Hotel, Nairobi
- Attended finalization workshop on Wetland Mapping, in the production of a Kenya Wetland Map, 2-6 August, 2011, Lake Naivasha Tourist Resort, Naivasha, Kenya
- Attended Natural Disaster Management in Arid and Semi-Arid Lands, June 20-24 2011, Imperial Hotel, Kisumu, Kenya
- Attended Wetland Mapping Methodology Definition Retreat: Paper entitled; “Methods for Wetland Mapping; GIS applications”, sub-committee to oversee the production of an inventory and mapping of wetlands and hotspots in Kenya, 9-13 November 2010, Waterbuck Hotel, Nakuru, Kenya.
- Attended Capacity building workshop for integrated water resources and sanitation management on 28th May 2009 at Kenyatta University, Nairobi.
- Attended conference on Management for Lake Victoria Environment and Resources for Posterity; Synthesis and lessons learnt (17th to 19th October, 2005, Tom Mboya Labour College, Kisumu, Kenya)
- Attended workshop to prepare project proposal, Artificial reef and sustainable lobster fishery management in Western Indian Ocean, Sofitel Hotel, Brussels, Belgium (May, 2000)
- Attended EEC/KMFRI International workshop on “Lake Victoria Fisheries Research”, September, 1991, Imperial Hotel, Kisumu, Kenya.
Presentation of papers at Academic and Professional Conferences.
- Presented paper, Impact of disturbance on Gazi Bay mangrove forest assessed by a cellular automaton model and Lotka Volterra type competition. Proceedings; Int’l Symposium on Aquatic Vascular Plants: 25 Years After. 2nd – 6th February, 2006 Brussels, Belgium.
- Presented paper, The equilibrium dynamics of mangroves of Gazi Bay (Kenya)- modelling based on mangrove species competition. Mangrove Macrobenthos Meeting 2 (MMM2), 25th -30th June 2006, Gold Coast, Australia
- Presented paper, Restoration of mangroves. NECOV (Nederlands-Vlaamse vereniging voor ecologie) Symposium on Exploitation and Restoration of Tropical Aquatic Ecosystems, 7 October, Brussels, Belgium 2004.
- Presented paper, Evaluation, restoration and management practises in the conservation of tropical, Mediterannean and temperate forest ecosystems. Botany in Belgium and Belgium’s botanical diversity BBB2001 symposium, Bouchout-Meise, Belgium, 2003.
- Presented paper, Anthropogenically induced changes in a Kenyan mangrove ecosystem assessed by application of remote sensing and GIS: A case study in Gazi. International symposium on comparing Great Lakes of the World (GLOW III; climate, food webs, biodiversity and integrated management), February 2001 in Arusha, Tanzania
- Presented paper, The fishery of Lake Naivasha, Kenya, its potential, threats and implication of the current management strategies. International symposium on comparing Great Lakes of the World (GLOW III; climate, food webs, biodiversity and integrated management), February 2001 in Arusha, Tanzania
Convening and coordinating conferences
- Convened and coordinated ESRI Eastern Africa Education User Conference, October 2013, Kenyatta University, Nairobi
- Convened and coordinated workshop on Status of the GIS Biodiversity Atlas for Lake Victoria. National Workshop on the Regional Synthesis Report on the Fisheries Research and Management (7th – 9th September 2005, Tom Mboya Labour College, Kisumu, Kenya)
- Convened and coordinated workshop on Status of the GIS Biodiversity Atlas Database for Lake Victoria. National Workshop on the Regional Synthesis Report on the Fisheries Research and Management (18th – 19th September 2005, Imperial Hotel, Kisumu, Kenya)
- Convened and coordinated workshop on Aquatic Biodiversity Atlas of Lake Victoria basin and its catchment (22nd – 28th August 2005, Mwanza, Tanzania)
- Convened and coordinated workshop on Aquatic Biodiversity Atlas of Lake Victoria basin and its catchment (10th – 14th October, 2005 in Seeta-Mukono, Uganda)
Last Updated on Wednesday, 05 July 2017 15:36